Friday, January 22, 2010

Lost

Two days ago, I was on the phone with a friend of ours discussing adoptions from Haiti. We were having quite the intense discussion so I went up to my room to escape the noise of my two children. I could hear Mikey downstairs playing on his little fourwheeler. I kept one ear open to the sounds of my kids so I would know if anything happened. I looked at the clock and realized I had been on the phone for nearly an hour so I thought I better get off the phone and tend to my kids. As I was winding down my phone call I noticed I couldn't hear the fourwheeler anymore. I quickly ran downstairs and started looking for Mike. I coudln't find him. I ran upstairs, no Mike. I ran outside, no Mike. I got off the phone and started to panic. I ran outside into Chad's office and told him and Chandler I couldn't find Mikey. We quickly took off in all directions around the house. I ran to the neighbors house and started yelling for Mikey while I was banging on their door. When no one answered I headed back to the street dialing 911 on my phone. I saw a police car driving towards me and in my mind I thought "this.is.not.happening." Tears were streaming down my face as I ran to the cop car "Officer! I can't find my son!" The cop pointed out his window and as I looked down the street I saw the sweetest sight. Chad was holding a screaming Mikey with relieved look on his face. He was okay. There he was, sad but fine. I ran and grabbed him, ran back into the house while Chad talked to the cop, and sat down to assess the damage. Besides freezing feet, he was fine. He had pushed our door open and headed down the street. Chad found him nearly a block away standing in the middle of the road crying. Chad told me later, " I know this doesn't help, but Roxy didn't leave his side." Our sweet little dog knew that something was wrong. I learned a big lesson that day. I get so caught up in everyday life that I don't pay attention if my boy can push the door open. Or if he can get knives out of the drawer, or if he can climb in the car. It's time I wake up and BE THERE. That is a new years resolution. I urge all of you mammas to do the same. I have gone crazy thinking about the many ways that little "episode" could have ended. But it didn't. We are both fine, and I'm thankfully a little wiser.

12 comments:

Lydia said...

I'm so very very thankful he is safe, you are a good mommy Candace and I love you.

Cyndi said...

Im glad everything ended well!! Unfortunately I think most moms end up having some sort of scare like that with one of their kids! So don't feel like your alone! Don't you love knowing that your dog does actually care?! It always makes you feel good, huh!

Josh and Nikki said...

Ahhh so scary! We're so glad he's okay! My biggest fear is that baylee will take off... I always dead bolt my door but she's gonna figure it out one day- I just know it! Thanks for reminding me to be a little more aware! :)

Hermana Whitehead said...

Experiences like that are just part of parenting. Don't beat yourself up. As parents we just do our best and then pray hard every day. You are a very good mother.

Robin said...

Cando, first, very glad Mikey is alright. Ok with that out of the way, i must say that I love how lax you are...I always have. Besides, we've all been there one time or another! Really I think its these darn little boys that try to get into trouble constantly...haha jk!

Anonymous said...

That is the scariest feeling ever. I'm so glad he was okay and that nothing more happened to him. I love that your dog stayed by his side the entire time. :)

Stacy Mike and Thalia Talbot said...

My heart was pounding as I read that! You poor thing! I bet that was traumatizing for all of you. I'm so glad Chad was able to find him and that you're all happy and safe now. And don't feel bad it can happen so fast.

Sharps said...

YOU are a great mother! I bet you are staying awake at night. When sammy fell in the pool a couple summers ago cause I took my eye off of him for a second I couldnt forgive myself! Even though he was fine...I was sick. Everyone would tell me that that is just normal...ahhh!!!YOU are a great mother! KIDS are KIDS! Sherry use to leave me all kinds of places. I always found my way home. :) no really, i am sorry. sweet little roxy. good girl.

Kirsten & Aaron said...

Scary! I'm glad he's okay! That's pretty cute that Roxy stayed with him :)

Kirsten said...

Candace, you are an amazing mother!!
It's not like you were ignoring your children, taking a bubble bath or being lazy on the couch in the other room. You were aware of your son while on the phone, having an intense and caring conversation with your friend. Kids, boys especially!!, are adventurous and mischeivious! All we can do is pray that we are able to do our best.... which you are!!! Thank God for your Dog!! Thank God for your ability to notice the lack of sound when he stopped playing, and to recognize your "motherly instincts" to know that he hadn't just moved on to another toy, but that something was wrong!! Give yourself credit where it is due. And just know that all mothers make mistakes! When B first started crawling, I was unaware that my front door had been left open when Josh left for work, and I was in on the computer for a long time after he'd left, before I realized that B was no longer by my side! He had crawled out the door..... up the concrete stairs.... and was working his way down the driveway! I learned to keep the door locked from then on, NO MATTER WHAT! And to only be on the computer if he was napping or in his Exersaucer! We learn instantly from our mistakes, and are better moms because of them! Thank God he is ok :)

Hafen's said...

That is so sad! Poor little boy! I just saw a story on the news just like that. Too bad you didn't make headlines. Kidding! You are a Great Mom and your kids are adorable! (mine are still more adorable but yours are close) YOu know I love ya Cando. I will have to send you this link to a blog my friend sent me. It will really put your incident into perspective. I'll send it on fb...

Hafen's said...

ok fine it wont work on fb... here it is. let me know if it doesn't work. you may need to scroll up to get to the first. It will change yourlife! Fstakerzxposed.blogspot.com