Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Happy Happy Birthday Gracie Dear

Wow. Four years old. Gracie has been such an amazing blessing in our lives. I can't believe that she was born four years ago. I remember having this discussion with one of my friends the other day (she just had her fifth baby) about how you love each of your children differently. I said how I will always have a special bond with Grace because she was our first and for nearly 2 years it was just her and I. All of the time. Shopping, walks, eating out, everything I did in the day, I just would drag her along with me. I will always have a different bond with Mikey because he is my second and we spent all of that time together alone at the hospital, but I'll save that for his birthday post. When I was pregnant with Gracie, I was so sick I lost over 50 pounds throwing up about every hour every day. for NINE months. It was the hardest thing I had ever gone through up to that point. I remember laying in bed, not having the energy to go out on the couch, crying about how sorry I felt for myself... there were a lot of days like that. I remember promising the baby inside me that I would do everything I could to be the best mother to her if she would just get me through the rest of the pregnancy. Well, she kept up her end of the deal and I try every day to keep up mine. I wanted to put pictures up of some of my favorite's over the last four years, but this is a new computer and I haven't switched them over yet. Gracie is an amazing little girl. She is so patient with me and she is as sharp as a knife. She is always one to call me out when I do something wrong. I love her so much and I'm so lucky to have her as my own!! Happy Birthday Gracie!!






I woke Gracie up singing happy birthday to her and made her FAVORITE food ever. Scratch Pancakes with buttermilk syrup.





This is the traditional picture of her saying how old she is. (okay, about the cake... this was my first time ever using fondant, and it was so hard!! I got it everywhere and it was the most cock-eyed looking fish ever. I later fixed it as you'll see.... She wanted a little mermaid party so the cake is Flounder)

The fixed product

What's a party without a little pin the tail on the donkey?

And a pinata??

Gracie with her mouth full after cracking open the pinata


I had to try and transform my kitchen into the sea... it didn't really work, but I did my best!







Her gift from mom and dad. She LOVES this thing.. she didn't want to go to school today because she wanted to stay home and ride it.








Happy Birthday Gracie... we love you soooooooo much!!!!
xoxoxo

12 comments:

Lydia said...

Candace, she is so beautiful! As I started reading your post to Anna, it got harder and harder as the lump in my throat grew and grew. Thank Heaven for pictures. Grama loves you Grace!!

Stacy Mike and Thalia Talbot said...

SUCH a cutie! She was definitely worth the trial to get here huh? Happy birthday little Grace!

Taylors said...

Oh Miss Gracie you are getting so big! Happy Birthday!!!! I love the under the sea birthday you are so creative candace, and love the cake I think it is really cute!

Chelsea said...

great party!!! I love the cake! Under the sea was a great creative theme, kudos for takin that on!!!!

sloan larsen said...

Candace that cake is awesome. It looks just like flownder. I've been reading your blogs for a while now and would just like to tell you that I think you are definiely living up to your end of the deal (with Gracie), your kids are lucky to have such a good mom. You remind me of Lydia.

Kirsten said...

So cute! Fondant IS hard the first few times, you really have to get used to working with it before allowing it to do what you want it to. It turned out really cute, and so did the decorations :) Happy B-Day Gracie

Unknown said...

Awww Cando,
Looks like Gracies birthday was a lot of fun. Too bad our kiddo's weren't there this year to spice up the action, with barf on the floor like at Mikey's birthday (lol). We sure miss you guys.
Happy Birthday Gracie!
Hugs!
Nat

Unknown said...

Awww Cando,
Looks like Gracies birthday was a lot of fun. Too bad our kiddo's weren't there this year to spice up the action, with barf on the floor like at Mikey's birthday (lol). We sure miss you guys.
Happy Birthday Gracie!
Hugs!
Nat

The Jimenez's said...

Candace! You are such a cute momma! Gracie's day looked extra special. I think the cake turned out amazing!! and so did all the decorations.

jen said...

Candace, your cake looked great! I'm hiring you for Riley's birthday next year. I love Grace's shirt. She looks so cute in red. So when are we going to be crafty?!

Casey said...

I have to second mom on the fact that I had a big lump in my throat as I read your blog and then finally I didn't fight it anymore. I let the tears flow! Just made me think about how sick you really were with that little girl. You were just so sick and sad it was hard watching my baby sister go threw that! Oh man... I loved the party fir grace and I also loved the cake. Why are you so talented in EVERY thing you do!?!?! I love you sis and give Gracie big kisses from aunt Case!

Hermana Whitehead said...

I can't believe it has been 4 years either. She just gets more and more beautiful every year. Great cake! Happy birthday Gracie!