Sunday, February 20, 2011

About a boy.....

My Mike turned three today. Amazing. Three years ago today, I sat in recovery thinking to myself, there is no way this baby boy is going to survive. He is too tiny. Too fragile. Too perfect for this life. He came to us with no warning two months too soon. I knew this baby was different. I knew from the time I got pregnant that there was something "off" with this one. The night he decided to make his entrance into this world I finally knew where all of those feelings were coming from. I thought this baby was just going to be here for a short time to teach me something I needed to learn. I didn't get to hold Mikey until he was almost 24 hours old. When the doctors came in to give me an update on him I couldn't believe the news. "he is perfect in every way" they said. "He just needs to gain some weight, then he'll be able to go home." That has been the story of Mikey's life for three years. He is perfect in every way, he just needs to keep growing! The time that followed after his birth was a blur. Looking back now I can't believe we survived it! We are so lucky to have this kid in our lives. He wakes up almost every night with growing pains and that tiny little 4 pounder is now a fond memory. He is a tall, loving, healthy, thriving little boy. I can't wait to see him as an older brother. We love you so much Mikey, Happy Birthday!


















8 comments:

Malinda S. said...

Precious photos! What a cutie! Happy Birthday Mikey!

jen said...

I love all the pictures. The one where a mom is covering her son's mouth so he doesn't blow out Mikey's candle cracks me up. I remember going to see Mike at the hospital when he was born, and being able to feel that he is such a special kid. Happy birthday Mike!

Taylors said...

What a sweet post for such a sweet little guy... big guy :) happy birthday Mikey. You are such a great Mom Candace!!!

Robin said...

Happy Bday Mikee! I still remember the night you went into labor...scary and exciting! GLad the boys could meet again and IM sure they'd be fighting buds if they were together all the time...come visit!

Sarah J said...

Happy Birthday Mikey!! What a cute, fun kid!

Teresa said...

Happy Birthday Mike!

Sharps said...

Oh so cute. he will love to read this post when he is older. you guys are great parents! i love the picture of him in the truck with Chad. So cute.

Jill T said...

Great post; I think I got a little emotional there! Happy birthday cute boy!